Saturday, November 03, 2007

Fresh Pistachio from China

When you buy pistachio nuts from countries like Australia, it can easily reach RM100+. At least that was the amount my mom paid when she visited Melbourne.

Last week she spent her holiday in JiuZaiGou in China. Bought a pack of fresh pistachio for only RM15. They are really unprocessed and we need to peel off the hard shell to eat the nuts.

This is the first time I see fresh pistachio.

When I first saw it, I thought it was a pack of Cadbury chocholates! Image005

At first, we were so stupid, used hammers to knock the shell - lots of hassle to eat that tiny nut inside. As a result of that, no one really interested in them. A day later, my sister realized that a tool is provided! The tool looks like a key, is made of steel, with thin edge to be inserted in the natural crack of the nuts and with a slight twist the nut can be pry open easily!

Look, this is the key and the nut (looks like a chocolate, right?):
Image006

Can you see the hairline crack on the nut?
Image000

Just insert the key like this and then twist.
Image001

Pop! The shell is opened and the nut is ready to be tasted!
Image003 Image011

4 comments:

MODERN b0i said...

Wow!

I would have never guessed that there are places where are pistachios are sold along with a tool.

I guess processed pistachios should be promoted for since they

DON'T REQUIRE TOOLS or dis-ASSEBMLY.

:-D

Suzette said...

Actually before seeing this, I thought they over priced the processed pistachios. After experienced this, I'd pay for the pricey pistachios. :)

Karmeleon said...

These look exactly like what we see on the farm in Australia. Except they have a more elaborate tool for cracking that brown nut! *haha*

Anonymous said...

I believe it's a macadamia nut, not pistachio. Pistachio nut has a green looking even whendried.

 
ss_blog_claim=32663b9ec2ba15f0eeec39fc4ff0a939