Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Sight Seeing in Beijing 2 – Great Wall and Ming’s Tomb

Last week, I went to Great Wall, Ming’s Tomb and Temple of Heaven in Beijing. For Great Wall and Ming’s Tomb, I joined a local tour, which cost only CNY 150.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comThis is the outside of Ming’s Tomb. When I went inside, dare not to take photo because it IS a tomb. Got to observe the rules… Anyway, I was very disappointed with this. The tour brought us to 长陵(chang ling) instead of 定陵 (ding ling). The latter one is already been dig and opened for visiting, you an actually see the underground palace. The former is only some stone roofs/architectural built on the ground, and it has not been opened, basically nothing to see at all. When we were at Chang Ling, I was very excited thinking we could go down and see the underground palace, didn’t know it is not opened. At that point of time, I didn’t know Ding Ling is the one that most people visits. Have to blame on my lack of research. (Really embarrassing because I am a researcher but I never do my own homework)

As for the Great Wall, am glad that we were given 2 hours to climb up. It was very tiring given that I have not been worked out in the past 2 months, since Chinese New Year (my pilates teacher is going to complain liao!). But I think the climb was worthy, though I didn’t see much scene due to air pollution.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com
This is what I saw from the highest point I reached (looking back). But, the highest point I went is not the highest achievable points… I didn't have the time to climb up to the highest because I headed for the wrong route. Should have gone out half way to the 好汉坡 and walk along the dirt then join the other path. Instead, I reached a dead end, looking at the other side but not reachable (see photo below)…


Image hosted by Photobucket.comBTW, we took an auto cart up to half way before walking up with foot. Maybe we should have taken the cable car, which is on the other side of the Great Wall. That one is closer to the highest point. Actually I think back about the auto cart, it doesn't look safe at all, and I wonder how safe can the cable car be. This is definitely against HSSE policy in my company, I should have avoided it…


Image hosted by Photobucket.comOn our way down the Great Wall, there were so many bears (not Panda though) around. They look so adorable. People feed them with dried apples.

When we were back, we headed straight to WangFuJing 王俯井 hawker street to have some dinner. I ate at the roadside for the first time, together with the locals. Bought the 过桥米线 (a type of meehoon soup) and ate by the roadside. It didn’t taste well, but we bought it because we saw so many people queuing, naturally we thought it was very good. Anyway, while we were eating, we saw real beggar. Unlike some of the Malaysian beggars, I think they are real – this guy he was waiting at the waste bin. When there are people who throw the bowl in (disposable), he quickly went and search for leftover. I felt so sorry for him, and I left half of my meehoon – put on the ground so he could eat them. But come to think of it, my act actually encourages more beggars to be there, which I don’t think their government will like. OK, I will not do that again…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a very good book (Mandarin) about tour in Beijing. It helps me a lot during my trip to Beijing in 2002. Let me know if you would like to have a read. BTW, next time should try the "satay" at the roadside. They have chicken, pork, lamb and bird. 1 stick only CNY 2 in year 2002. Till today, me & hubby still missing it and drooling whenever we talked about it.

Suzette said...

Thanks SF, would love to have it - can i get from you next time we meet? Ya, the satay, I think still costs CNY2 in BJ city, and only CNY1 near Great Wall/Ming's Tomb. I didn't try because I was too thirsty - I was too afraid to go toilet so didn't drink any water at all from 6am till 9pm! 8)

 
ss_blog_claim=32663b9ec2ba15f0eeec39fc4ff0a939