Monday, July 18, 2005

NKF Scandal

Recently I have been reading this news about NKF case in Singapore with interest. Really disappointed with the way they handle the money. (More info here)

Imagine, when I donate my money to the diabetic patients, I expect my money to be used to help them as directly as possible.

I would least want my money to be sponsoring those high level guys flying on first class, getting highly paid salary (many times higher than my own), using expensive luxury cars and toilets, etc.

When I was approached by a NKF represented agency few years ago in Amcorp Mall, and requested for regular contribution, I nearly signed up, but I didn't. I took their form, verified information with NKF later, and then I called the sales rep for appointment. He didn’t show up.

Then I called NKF office and asked for another sales rep. No body bothered me.

I presume their ‘business’ is so good that they don’t even bother to ‘service’ donors like me…

Then I made my contribution to MAA, also for diabetic patients. This MAA is definitely a registered organization because I did get my income tax refund on this donation.

This whole thing really bothered me. First of all, why would NKF assign a third party agency to help raising fund for them? What would the agency charge them? I’m pretty sure this agency is not doing this as charity for free, as they do employ quite a lot of ‘SALES’ reps, who earn commissions.

I did ask NKF how can they make donations into a ‘sales’, and part of our monthly contribution goes to this third party agency? They avoided my question by asking me to write in.

Now after reading the news in Singapore, I am glad I did not sign up with the donation program. I would like my money to be used in a better way. If somebody is going to get rich with MY money, I wish that the ‘somebody’ were I, LZBONE. Hehehe!

p/s: Just a quick summary of what NKF (National Kidney Foundation) Singapore did (abstract modified from The Star):

NKF had sued Singapore Press Holdings over an article last year that stated a gold-plated tap had been installed and later replaced in the private bathroom of the CEO's (TT Durai) office suite. NKF said the article had damaged the charity's reputation by implying that donors' funds were being misused. Last week, in the court, after his salary (S$600,000 (RM1.3mil))and perks generated major media coverage in the city-state, Durai and the foundation withdrew their lawsuit. He also conceded he flew first class when travelling overseas, although he insisted he was entitled to the benefits of “every other CEO.” NKF describes itself on its website as “the largest charitable organisation in Singapore” and the “largest not-for-profit dialysis provider in the world.”

4 comments:

Loc Kee said...

err... me blur blur here... can explain abit ke??

Suzette said...

lockee: Hi! You must have missed the news. In short, Singapore media reported that NKF (National Kidney Foundation) is wrongly using donors' money. NKF was angry and sued the press. In the court, in the process NKF revealed a lot more 'secrets', that actually made their position even worse. Immediately they decided to withdraw and cancel the case. Very malu thingy. More can be read here: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/7/15/asia/11488138&sec=asia
I should have linked my blog to this news. OK I will edit my post now...

Loc Kee said...

oh, ok now paham liao... wa... Non-Profit organisation hoh, but the CEO made a lot of profit lo... :<

Suzette said...

loc kee: Ya, that's why all donors are so angry. If I were them I would be angry too. Luckily I didn't manage to sign up their program.

twinsmom: that is really malu betul, right? Padam muka. LOL.

 
ss_blog_claim=32663b9ec2ba15f0eeec39fc4ff0a939