Monday, March 05, 2007

Bad Experience with Marriott Karachi

I copied this as it is from my other blog. The reason is, I want more people to read this, as it is something really worth sharing... I will write my conclusion in another post.
------
Imagine this:
You made hotel reservation a month in advance. Midnight, upon arrival at a security heightened country, you found out that you have to share room with a complete stranger, and you have no other options but to accept it. Not only that, you have to sleep in the living hall on a made-shift bed, and yet expected to pay around RM700 ($200) for that.

This happened to me, in Marriott Hotel, Karachi. This is the most ridiculous thing that I’ve ever encountered in my travel life.

I arrived Marriott Karachi at 2:30am KL time. I was exhausted, desperately needed a shower and a good sleep. But upon arrival, I was told that the hotel was overbooked, and they have simply put me and another lady stranger in the same room, without seeking our agreement. Though this lady comes from the same country and same company as me, I do not know her at all! Furthermore, I need my privacy to express my breastmilk, and this has completely infringed my privacy rights!

The Full Story
During check in, we were not informed about the situation. They just made us sign the check-in form/agreement. Then, I got a glimpse of the room booking printout – someone shares the same room number as mine!

Upon asking, the receptionist then told us their problem of insufficient room. They have ‘kind enough’ to upgrade me and the other lady to an expensive presidential suite. They convinced us that it has two separate rooms.

We thought it was two bedroom suites. We finally agreed to say in the ‘two room’ suites. BTW, same thing happened to my boss too, has to share with another HK lady.

But then… when we opened the door, it was actually a 1-room suite. They put up a made-shift bed in the living room, in between the dining table and sofa; expect one of us to sleep there! And they dare called this as ‘2 separate rooms’!

Image022

I needed my privacy to express my breastmilk. The other lady was kind enough to give me that room. But I feel bad. My boss has to stay in her living room, coz we arrived later than the HK lady who took the (only) bedroom already.

We were very upset of this incident. After arriving in the Pakistan office this morning, we told the officers, and we were asked to change hotel and do not pay for the night we stayed. We did, with a lot of arguments at the lobby. It was just too dramatic just now, if you can imagine.

It is just not right in principal:

Dishonest
First, they were not honest with us. They should inform us the situation, instead of conned us into signing that form/agreement and used it against us. That receptionist brought us to our room. When we realized the real situation, he tried to sneak out. He thought he could just dump us into the room and his duty was over.

Room Rate
They expected us pay the full rate of Rs11,900 (RM700/$200) each, for sleeping in the living room. Only after we protested and refused that room, they then offered us half the price. But that wasn’t what we want. Even with that half price, none of us would like to stay with a stranger or in the living hall, especially on business trip and for me – who need privacy to express my breastmilk.

Gender Discrimination
This really pissed me off. There are 6 of us from my company, 4 females 2 males. The males arrived later than my boss and I. They got single (normal) room. We had to share. The HK lady arrived at least 3 hours before us, she had to share with one of us. Why it has to be females to share and the males have their own rooms?

Unprofessional Attitude
The staffs were rude. They kept defending that it was ‘2-separate-rooms’. Ya, one is living room. We told them that it was unacceptable, but they just don’t understand. The worst thing is, until the moment we cancelled our stay, they still thought we were being difficult, and they couldn’t understand why we were not happy with their ‘nice presidential suite’.

What Is Acceptable?
Well, if they have problem with availability, they should have called our office yesterday, and immediately arrange for us to move to another hotel. It is actually more professional that way! If they really want to try that so-called presidential suite, they should have checked with us instead of conning us and trying to dump us in that room. If it was agreed by our office, then we will accept it. Furthermore, our office would be able to advise them who can be put together and who cannot.

Next Steps
I am going to write to their HQ, and I’m also going to write to our procurement department to de-list them as our panel hotel. It is not cheap to stay in that living room, you know?

Now…
I am so happy that we have taken necessary steps, and I had some kind of pleasure – seeing their shocking faces when we cancelled our stays. Moving into Sheraton now is a good choice. This hotel is much newer, larger, with better facilities, and cheaper!

Added on 6 Mar
This incident in Marriott is only an isolated case, which should not be used to evaluate the country. Please do not generalize this experience to the general public. In fact, I enjoyed my trip very much, met a lot of nice and helpful people. Sheraton is also a very good hotel to stay in. I will write separately to share the fun with you all later.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good one Suzy. Use this site too to promote your experience.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/guestbook/index.html

Anonymous said...

Suggest you also write an email to the leading newspaper of Pakistan on Letters to Editor letters@dawn.com

Make sure you leave your name, email, contact number and address or they will not publish the article.

Suzette said...

anon: thanks for visiting my blog and left a comment. And thanks for the suggestions. But would Sheraton comment be relevant on this since it is wrt Marriott? Good suggestion on the Pakistan newspaper... :)

Anonymous said...

Hello, i am from Karachi and hope that what happened to you shouldn't happen to anyone anywhere in the world. I hope that you take this matter up with the Marriot worldwide and make sure that the staff responsible for this should get their ass fired!! They are not only creating a bad image of the company but also the country. I do hope you write to Dawn about this so that the higher ups of the hotel also know about their staff's sheninigens!

Anonymous said...

Suzy, you are right maybe Sheraton is not the best of the ideas. Just thought competition would find it useful ammunition!

You can find your experience reflected here too http://karachi.metblogs.com/archives/2007/03/marriott_hotel.phtml

Do not forget to write to Dawn. And while you are at it, here are two email addresses of another major newspaper in Pakistan. This paper has more chances to pick your story.

letters@dailytimes.com.pk
editorial@dailytimes.com.pk

Good Luck.

Suzette said...

zag and anon: I was originally quite reluctant to write to the press (afraid that it got fired up too big for me to swallow!). But then, seeing all the encouragements, I have just sent my story to Dawn. Let's see how it goes... Do let me know if you see my letter being published. ;)

Anonymous said...

Suzy, Please do not feel bad. You had every right to be angry. This sort of criticism is productive as it makes the businesses pull up their socks and benefits most consumers at large.

Anonymous said...

Suzy, coming from Karachi, I'm very glad you're taking this to the media. The kind of unprofessionalism and behavior of the hotel you described was truly unacceptable. Hopefully, Marriott Karachi will pay heed to your comments and get their act together.

Anonymous said...

geeezz... can't believe that Marriott actually did that to their biz guess! this is definitely a big no-no in the service industry... hope you get a good write-up by the press. They must learn a lesson!

Suzette said...

anon: that's so nice of you to say that... :)

mantissa: hey, thanks for leaving a comment here. I just hope Marriott Karachi takes this constructively, instead of trying to defend (again)... :)

angeleyes: Ya, international reknown hotel some more...

allthingspurple: I'm sorry I have to remove your comment coz I couldn't edit it. You've posted my name here which I don't keep in my blog. Hope you understand. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I think I will be able to get your message across to the group management as I am doing some work with the hotel.
I am shocked about this incident! Please do not take what happened at Marriot as practice that is prevelant in Pakistan as that is definitely not the case.

Suzette said...

anon: thanks for the message. And thanks for reminding me this - I nearly assumed it is a cultural thing that it is alright to practice this in Pakistan! Good that you pointed out. :)

Vivianz said...

I am really really shocked! Hubby never experience any of this in Karachi, like what u said, maybe he's a male....?

Pakistan travel said...

Hotel staff is responsible for this matter.

 
ss_blog_claim=32663b9ec2ba15f0eeec39fc4ff0a939