Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Money and 人格

When I heard of the news on the recoveries of the missing 4 boys in Fraser’s Hill, I was rather… hmm… somewhat disturbed on something.

It was read and understood that: the youngest one (9 years), when found by the orang asli, was delighted in joy and cried out ‘I love you’. Following that, he offered all of his money and ask the orang asli to bring him out of the jungle.

I am not sure I read and understood it correctly or not. Did the boy offer the orang asli the money, to THANK him or in EXCHANGE for help?

My friends/family all felt the boy’s gesture is very cute and innocent. I have a different view. If I were the orang asli, I would feel very offended of my 人格. I don’t know how to translate 人格 into English (can anyone help?). Basically, I just feel that it is an insult to someone who went into the jungle at night to search for the boys.


I am not saying the boy is wrong. But from where did he learn this kind of gesture? Did the adults always do this kind of thing in front of him: 用钱挞死人 (direct translate: use money to throw people)?

6 comments:

Jason Lioh said...

Maybe in future, he will think that money can buy everything, which will eventually lead him to the dark side. *Imperial March musics in the background*

sqkiki said...

eventho he didn't learn from ppl around, but will learn from TV oso lor..haii..don u realise tat nowaday those carton carton ahh..oso show how importance of money meh?

shoppingmum said...

sad to say, I have a few rich students who say that to teachers too. We normally give out stationeries or bags as tokens to the children if they do well or behave well. But some just ask teachers how much to pay if they want something. Maybe things change liao...

Suzette said...

jason: can't take that posiblity out, but like others has said, many kids are like this. are you one of them? Hehehe!

msau: bad influence is everywhere. I think as parents, we have more responsibilities to guide our children, more difficult that the old days.

twinsmom: children asking for money as birthday present is not the same in this case. The boy actually thought he could 'exchange' things with his money. If he is just giving his money to thank the orang asli, I would think his parents are very good in 家教. :|

shoppingmum: Bingo! That's exactly what I wanted to say. I think the society is changing. Now, the kids think they can buy just anything with their money - instead of earning them with their effort (i.e. in your case, would be good performance/behaviour).

Jason Lioh said...

Me? Nolah. Jason got no money, not rich at all. So, cannot give money to buy or ask for something. Jason uses action. Action speaks louder than word mah~!

Ghostbird said...

Maybe he's been on holidays before, and thought of the Orang Asli as a tour guide?

 
ss_blog_claim=32663b9ec2ba15f0eeec39fc4ff0a939