Saturday, June 25, 2005

Another Beijing Trip

After grounded for 2 months, traveling starts again! Last week went to Tanjong Jara, and this week in Beijing (again). Flew on Mon night flight, arrived at 6am, meeting starts at 10am.

At first, thought of sleeping through the flight. Then was asked to be seated next to a newly joined colleague, “so that we can talk on the journey” – as said by the guy’s boss. Luckily my boss was so nice, before the flight she told the new guy to let me sleep. That guy changed his seat when he checked in – I felt a little ‘paiseh’! :p

Anyway, on Tuesday (first) night, we went to 老舍茶馆 (Lao She tea house), which has some great performance on 京剧 (Beijing Opera). The greatest one was 变脸 (face-change). Love it! This is a place must go!

Actually, I wanted to visit Beijing Underground City (北京地下城), but strange enough none of the locals or taxi drivers ever heard of it. I searched the web, and finally found 2 reports on this:
Part 1
Part 2

Looks like only the hotel’s concierge also knows about this place. With the help from the web and the concierge, the taxi finally managed to take me there on Thursday morning. Not exactly sending me to the right place. He just dropped me off around that area, and I had to walk for around 10 min to get to the place. I had to ask around.

It is no big deal about the place, but I have to say it is worth visiting: can’t believe the people can dig out such huge underground city that can accommodate 300,000 people. The place connects all places, and can even go to Tianjin. It is just so amazing. Well, when I said ‘no big deal’ is because the place they open for tourist is only very small area – quite disappointing.

I paid RMB 20, for a guided tour. They will not allow anyone go in without a guide because there have been cases where people got lost. It only took me 30 min to finish the tour. So, this can be done during lunch hour, or early in the morning before office hour. They open from 8:30am till 6pm.

They don't allow photography inside, but I still managed to get a photo with my phone. :D

BJ Underground CityBJ Underground City (inside)

1 comment:

Suzette said...

Wow, at least you have visited 12 cities in China. I have been to only Shanghai and Beijing. Only did sightseeing in BJ, but one place per visit - mostly for places that requires 3 hours max. Work mah, not leisure trip ler. If got money, go with leisure trip better. :D

 
ss_blog_claim=32663b9ec2ba15f0eeec39fc4ff0a939