Friday, January 04, 2008

'Personal' Steamboat

I like to eat steamboat, but I hate to sweat in front of the hot pot, in Malaysia's hot weather!

Recently restaurant with new concept of individual steamboat is mushrooming. Unlike the conventional steamboat where everyone shares the same big 'boat'/pot, this new concept gives everyone an individual pot - all by one self.

On the New Year Eve, we dined in one of these restaurants near Carefour Kepong. I guess people normally order 1 set per person, which costs from around RM18 to RM30 each, depends on the type of meat (beef is more expensive than chicken).

As we went in a group of 5 adults (incl maid) and 2 children, we ordered a 'couple set' (for 2) and another single set. With that, they gave us 3 individual pots. I had one, which I cooked for my 2 children and my maid, which MIL and FIL shared a pot, DH has one for his own.

steamboat


This is the single set, for 1 person. As you can see, they give 1 noodle per person.
mix ingredients


This is the chicken slices that came with the set.
chicken slices


After this, I couldn't take any more photos, as my kids were too curious about the whole 'game' and I had to 'control' them before they hurt themselves!

The experience, despite the mess of dealing with my kids, was extremely good. I agree with my sister - if you have one pot by yourself, you can do whatever you like with it, including throwing back a piece of meat that you bite and realize it is not cooked properly! LOL!

The soup and the 'balls' (fish balls, meat balls, whatever 'balls') are just ordinary. What I like the most is the noodle. It looks and tastes just like instant noodle, or even better. However, the noodle comes in very small size. I can finish it is just 2 bites! We ended up ordered many more. LOL!

Of course, what we ordered weren't enough for all of us. We purposely ordered that way (3 pax set), so we can add on many side dishes. There is one fried vege-balls that I really love, and I'm glad to see they have it on the menu! :)

I think it is a nice place for gathering, for meeting with friends, and for couples too! A place that you can eat slowly and chat for a long while. And since steamboat is rather easy to make, I believe any outlets that offer this type of steamboat would be just fine - as long as the ambience is good I'd definitely walk in!

7 comments:

Pam Song said...

Wow. Where'd you go eat this? It'd be perfect for me cos I usually get grossed out by sharing pots. HAHA.

LivingSouL said...

Cool, food trip :D I love food! hehe

http://livingsoultech.blogspot.com

Suzette said...

pamsong: Hahaha! You are one of those particular ones huh?! I think there are quite a lot of these in KL nowadays. The one I visited was in Kepong, just in front of the Carrefour parking entrance. I believe there are many others in PJ. Don't know if there is any in Penang or not ler...

Livingsoul: :) Thanks for dropping by. If you love food, you should hope over my Hong Kong food posts, posted around Apr 2007. They are yummy! I went there just for the purpose of food. LOL!

Suzette said...

Sorry, Livingsoul, the HK food posts are in May 2007, not Apr. :)

Pam Song said...

Haha. Yes, I am. Anal as anything. =p

And I'm not in Pg. I'm from Pg only. Haha. So I get to eat Kepong steamboat, too! I usually go to Ketam, though. That one is FANTASTIC!

Suzette said...

pamsong: Ketam? The one at Menjalara? That is a good one that we like too. I like the chicken wings actually. LOL! BTW, the one in this blog is called (if you can read Chinese: 美子涮涮锅, looks Japanese though (but actually not).

Pam Song said...

Yeah, that's the one. Haha.

Thanks for the note. Will try to pay that place a visit one day. =)

 
ss_blog_claim=32663b9ec2ba15f0eeec39fc4ff0a939