Friday, May 04, 2007

Hong Kong Sightseeing (part 2)

Wong Tai Sin Temple (黄大仙庙)
Wong Tai Sin is the most famous temple in Hong Kong. In HK movies, we always watch people going there on 1st or 15th of the month to pray and get the 符 (spell-paper), etc. As I am a Christian, I just go there for sightsee and take some photo, while my sister prayed - she wanted to 还神, don't know how to say that in English.
P1070412

I was told that the current temple is actually moved from another place. Not sure what do they mean by 'moved', I'm sure not the physical temple! :)
P1070415

P1070416
Can you see my sister in this photo? ;)

P1070418 P1070420

Women Street (女人街)
Shopping is a must-do if you go to Hong Kong. In Women Street (or 通菜街), it is like our night market, where a lot of stalls are set up and they sell a lot of cheap stuff, which we can bargain.

I am not good in bargaining, and I don't find many stuff worth buying, except a few, if compared to those I get from Beijing/Shanghai, or even in the China Town here in KL. But it is still worth going. Socks are cheap. I spent only HKD10 to get 3 pairs of men's socks. HKD5 for kid's socks (how come kids' are more expensive than men's?), exactly the same brand/pattern I bought in Malaysia costed me around HKD20. :)

Bought some cheap shirts for myself, cheap but nice looking! Two t-shirts for DH, with fun prints and comfortable to wear.

To get to the women street, you got to exit at the Mong Kok MTR station. Along the same area, there are a lot of stuff to see. Just so much that made me nearly lost my way - of where to start!
P1070268

In fact, nearby Women Street, there are Garden Street (花园街), Goldfish Market (金鱼街), Sports-shoes Stree (波鞋街) etc. All named after the types of things commonly sold there. A lot of food too! Along the Garden Street, there are a lot of eateries that you can eat the whole night. My sister told me when she was first there, her colleague brought her to eat 11 types of food, but she can't remember how to get them already... Sob, sob, sob, I couldn't taste those that she mentioned!

Others
We also went to the Esprit Outlet at Tsim Sha Tsui, but I forgot how we got there. A pair of pants costed me around HKD100, which original price is near HKD500! I bought two pieces.

Aji-no-Ichiban and Sasa outlets can be found just anywhere you can see. The merchandises they carry is slightly different from here. For example, I bought this Seaweed Wasabi Tempura:
Image004 Image019
Very tasty, whoever I offered this loved it. But can't find it in Ajiichiban here...

Some branded goods are cheaper in HK, but some are not. It is wise to check out the price here in KL first. For example, for Shu Uemura products, some are cheaper and some are more expensive. If you think it is cheaper just because of one product, you might end up spending double to get something from overseas!

Oh, one more thing, in Mongkok and Templer Street, you can see a lot of shops for prost. Photo below says '1-night-stand'. You know what's the business lah! I can see guys standing in front of malls, handling out name cards of prostitutes. Can't believe it is that open in Hong Kong - didn't see this in movies though...
P1070398

There are a lot of other fun things to do, but we just didn't have the time to cover everything. So, play with our priority, we decided to forego many of them. :)

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=32663b9ec2ba15f0eeec39fc4ff0a939