Monday, May 21, 2007

Another Hotel Room Incident

Can't believe this is happening to me again!

I had a busy weekend traveling and working in China from city to city. This morning, I flew from Shanghai to Guangzhou with a male colleague from Beijing. Arrived at the hotel, found out they were over booked, and they let us shared a room. Well, not really that to be exact. They let us share a two-room suite. Believe that or not?

They were not honest at first (sound so similar to the previous Pakistan case). They took our credit card, swiped, made us signed the registration... and then we noticed the price quoted there was different from the confirmation email. Upon checking, only we found out they put us in a two-room suite.

In our culture, it is just not right to put a male and a female in a suite like that! Not that we don't trust each other, but it is against our culture, and it will certainly create family crisis (his and mine)! I'm sure my husband would mind, and I'm sure his wife would mind!

Since it was day time and our office was open, we changed to another hotel straight away. But was very disappointed with the first hotel - Ocean Hotel.

I am a bit numb about this kind of incidents already. Too many similar case has happened to me. What's wrong with the hotel industry? They tend to over book and take us for granted. This one some more claimed themselves 5 star! Wonder who decides the 'star' of the hotels????

When my colleague argued with the manager at the lobby, I was just too numb about it and kept quiet watching. Only to chip in towards the end. My colleague was so furious that he called up a number to complain (something like consumerism), but surprised to find out hotel is an area without any 'autorities' to look after. So, consumers are on our own, when it comes to hotel stays. What a finding!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's not right! Thank goodness I never been a victim of such incident... no proper authority to deal with the problem? does that mean their government tolerate such grave abuses? =(

Suzette said...

racquel, did you read my experience in Karachi? that was even worse, one of us got to sleep in the living room on a makeshift bed, and they called it two separate rooms. ;)
http://lzbone.blogspot.com/2007/03/bad-experience-with-marriott-karachi.html

I think we are all terribly bullied.
And you are right, there is no authority to deal with this. My colleague kept saying he wants to sue them - buy I believe he just said for the sake of saying. :P

 
ss_blog_claim=32663b9ec2ba15f0eeec39fc4ff0a939